Visa and Immigration Services (Canada)

New Adventures, New You

Designated Learning Institution numbers:

  • GV Vancouver, DLI # O19330822902

  • GV Toronto, DLI # O19517085782

  • GV Calgary, DLI # O18761476312

  • GV Victoria, DLI # O19319050762

Global Village English Centres - In response to renewed focus on requirements in the Canadian Immigration Act under Bill C-35 we wish to advise our partners and prospective clients that Global Village offers visa and immigration consulting services. Our authorized consultant on staff is Ms. Agata Rebisz who is licensed by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), her membership number is R417711. Agata regularly updates the FAQ topics listed below which contain extensive information and tips concerning visas and immigration.

Select an info link from the FAQ section listed below;

Still have questions or need help with your visa application?

Please contact our Global Village visa and immigration consultant to make an appointment for assistance in person or by phone, email or skype.


The consultation fee is CND $70.00 + applicable tax per 30 minutes (minimum charge).

A rebate of up to CND $125 will be applied if the client enrolls in Global Village courses.

Other Conditions:

Consultation fees on original appointments are refundable with minimum 7-day cancellation notice.

Appointments can be re-scheduled once with 24 hour notice.

Immigration update

New regulations for international students finalized

February 12, 2014 — New rules that aim to strengthen Canada’s status as a study destination of choice for prospective international students will take effect on June 1, 2014.

The new regulations will improve services to genuine students, while protecting Canada’s international reputation for high-quality education and reducing the potential for fraud and misuse of the program.

Here is a summary of the changes:

New regulations, as of June 1, 2014

  • Applicants must show that they intend to pursue studies in Canada when applying for a study permit.
  • Applicants must enrol in and continue to pursue studies in Canada. Failure to do so could lead to removal from Canada. CIC is now contacting schools more often to check if students have arrived and are attending classes.
  • Applicants may apply for a study permit to pursue studies at any educational institution in Canada.
  • Study permits will only be issued to successful applicants who are pursuing studies at an educational institution that has been designated to receive international students. All GV schools in Canada are fully accredited Languages 
  • Canada members following federal and provincial processes to be designated.
  • Study permit holders pursuing studies at publicly-funded and certain privately-funded post-secondary institutions must apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit to be able to work up to 20 hours per week off-campus during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks.
  • Study permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. The study permit holder must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate at a designated institution. This does not currently include ESL studies.

Visitors may not apply for a study permit from within Canada

Visitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are a student at a designated institution, or have completed a Pathway course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution.

International students who have completed their studies but hold valid study permits can remain legally in Canada until the expiration of their study permit.

A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the foreign national also possesses a valid work permit or another authorization to remain in Canada.

Study permit holders are not authorized to work after the completion of their studies while awaiting approval of their Post-Graduation Work Permit.

Eligible international graduates will be authorized to work full-time after their studies are completed until a decision is made on their application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

Additional information:

  • International students enrolling in courses in Canada that will last six months or less do not need a study permit. This is not changing. Students from countries whose citizens require a visitor visa will still need a valid visitor visa.
  • Study permit holders who are studying at a non-designated institution when the new regulations come into effect will be permitted to complete their program of study, up to a maximum of three years after the regulations take effect.
  • Global Village English Centres in Canada are committed to keeping you informed. Watch for broadcasts on all updates and information about the new regulations in the upcoming months!

Thank you,
Agata Rebisz
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
Global Village English Centres