Visa Information

New Adventures, New You

B-2 Tourist Visa 

Students visiting the US may study part-time (less than 18 hours per week) on a B-2 tourist visa. Students may apply at the US Embassy or Consulate and medical examinations may be required in some countries to obtain a B-2 visa. 

Visa Waiver 

Students from certain countries may study part-time (less than 18 hours per week) on the visa waiver program. Students are required to obtain an electronic travel authorization through ESTA prior to traveling to the U.S. Students should apply through ESTA at least 72 hours prior to travel. Students receive a visa waiver stamp from the US Immigration Service at the US Port of Entry for a length of stay of not more than 90 days. Visa waivers cannot be extended. Part-time students on a visa waiver must end their English study and leave the US when the visa waiver period finishes. 

F-1 Student Visa 

Students who intend to study full-time (18 or more hours/week) must obtain an F-1 student visa. To issue an I-20 form, US Immigration requires that the student provide a copy of a bank statement, birth date, home address and country of birth & citizenship to the school. Students are encouraged to provide information that demonstrates strong ties to their home countries (financial, professional, community). 

Students and parents are recommended to write letters to the US Embassy or Consulate that clearly explain the purpose for English study and how English study fits into the student’s larger life plans and career goals. Letters of support from prospective or actual employers or university or college administrators that can verify future employment are considered very helpful to obtain F-1 student visas. Please contact us for more information. 

Students should choose a starting date that allows enough time to safely apply for the F-1 student visa. When a student’s F-1 visa expires, he/she may legally continue to study provided that he/she is still enrolled in a full-time course at GV Hawaii, has a current I-20 form, and has maintained their full-time status.

Medical examinations may be required by the US Embassy or Consulate in some countries. For further information please check out the US Travel Visa and Embassy website. For further information please contact the US Travel Visa and Embassy website at:  ( ... and then choose Visa Services)