What is a (GEP) General English Program?
The General English Program (GEP) is one of the most popular English programs in Victoria, and at Global Village we offer eight levels from Beginner to Advanced.
GV General English provides:
- A diverse nationality-mix of interesting, motivated students
- Small class sizes - an average of 13 students per class
- Certified teaching staff
- Focus on improving English speaking skills!
- We are fully accredited and regulated by the BC Private Training Institutions Branch of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training (PTIB).
- General English is available full-time during the day, and part-time during the evenings.
Our General English Program at Global Village Victoria
General English is one of the most popular courses at GV. The program focuses on communicative fluency and functional language across various topics and areas. Available on a full-time or part-time basis, General English is offered at eight levels from Beginner to Mastery, and can be taken for 1 to 52+ weeks!
A standard full-time General English course consists of 20 morning lessons, Monday to Friday, plus afternoon elective classes, Monday to Thursday. The GV Intensive schedule includes one elective (total of 25 lessons/week); the GV Super Intensive Schedule includes two electives (total of 30 lessons/week).
General English - Morning Curriculum
Morning GEP lessons are based on a curriculum designed to promote a communicative classroom environment. General English classes expand students' vocabulary, increase listening, reading, and writing skills, and build the confidence necessary to use English in a variety of settings.
From 8:45-10:25, instructors present English grammatical structures in a communicative way – with equal emphasis given to both accuracy and fluency. The English classes are organized so that students use the new language in speaking activities and conversation.
From 10:40-12:20, the lessons are designed to help students develop English for everyday life. Our instructors will present vocabulary and phrases through dialogue and role play situations to help everyone communicate better.
General English - Afternoon Elective Options
At Global Village, students enjoy the opportunity to choose from a variety of afternoon elective classes. General English elective options cover a variety of topics that allow students to expand their English language skills and achieve their personal goals.
Visit our Elective Classes webpage for a full list of all the exciting elective classes available to you!
Who is this course for?
You can join our General English Program at any English level! We’ll have the fit for your current proficiency and future goals.
Global Village students enjoy our GEP program for many reasons: Face-to-face contact; small group size; a diverse nationality mix; and motivated classmates. These features allow you to experience full immersion in the English language with plenty of engaging dialogue, practice, and correction by qualified and experienced instructors.
By taking a General English language course, you will be able to:
- Improve your ability to speak English in practical situations
- Integrate all skill areas in your English lessons - pronunciation, speaking, listening, reading, and writing
- Learn English through a focus on communicative grammar and functional dialogue
- Choose elective classes to develop accuracy, vocabulary, and fluency
- Practice your English skills by make friends from different nationalities
When is this course offered?
30 LESSONS PER WEEK
Monday - Friday
08:45 - 12:20 PM PST
Monday - Thursday
Optional English Electives:
Option 1: 01:05 - 02:10 PM PST
Option 2: 02:25 - 03:30 PM PST